Oakmont police are investigating a string of burglaries in the area.
Since Saturday, five homes in the borough have been burglarized, according to police Chief David DiSanti.
The first three occurred on Saturday in the Commons section of the borough. The first call came in at about 8:30 p.m., when a resident of the 200 block of Commons Drive reported that his house had been broken into and ransacked. Two adjacent homes also were hit.
On Monday, another burglary was reported on 15th Street just after 5 p.m., and on Oct. 5, a similar burglary occurred on Ninth Street. All incidents involved forced entry into homes—breaking window panes, sliding doors, etc.
DiSanti said the thieves took jewelry and other items that they could hide on themselves.
"It wasn't anything bulky, just something that they could use for a quick turnover," he said.
Police also are investigating a burglary on Fifth Street. DiSanti said someone burglarized a home under construction, taking power tools from the residence. However, he said he doesn't think the incident is related to the other five.
DiSanti said police have evidence and a suspect in mind at this time, but the investigation is continuing. He is asking residents to be cognizant and report any suspicious activity right away by calling 911.
"Every single lead will be followed," he said. "We're working very diligently on this."