Weekend Event Guide: Dec. 18 & 19
With Christmas around the corner, Plum and Oakmont have a line-up of holiday parties to get in the spirit.
If you're tired of the typical holiday party, there are several fun things to check out in Plum and Oakmont tonight and tomorrow. Check here to see if your church or organization has something planned.
Dec. 18, 4-8 p.m., Oakmont Yacht Club will hold its Tom & Jerry Cocktail Party. Members can enjoy the sights of the river and enjoy entertainment.
Dec. 18, 6:30-8 p.m., St. John the Baptist will hold its junior high Christmas party in the school cafeteria.
Dec. 19, 1-5 p.m., All are welcome to drop by at St. John the Baptist to help decorate and get the building decorated for Christmas.
Dec. 19, 11 a.m., St. Irenaeus Catholic Church will bless families' Christchild figures from nativity sets for its annual Blessing of the Christchild following 11 a.m. Mass.
If your organization doesn't have anything planned, try one of these activities to get in the holiday spirit:
1. Fold origami ornaments for your Christmas tree.
2. Help a child write a letter to Santa.
3. Call your nearest church, library, senior center or food pantry and ask what you can do to help.
4. Check on elderly neighbors and make sure they are winter-equipped with salt and plenty of food, and offer your contact information.
5. Hit the slopes at Boyce Park.
8. Get in some Christmas shopping by stopping in Oakmont's Allegheny River Boulevard boutiques and specialty stores.
9. Go for a short, brisk walk in your neighborhood.
10. Drive around Plum and Oakmont and choose your favorite Christmas light displays.