Plans for a new public works facility in Plum Borough will come to fruition this summer.
On Monday, council awarded $7.1 million worth of contracts for the construction and relocation of the public works department from New Texas Road to borough property located between Renton Road and Old Leechburg Road. The work is part of Phase One of the Plum Borough Municipal Center project.
The project includes the construction of a public works building, a facility to store winter salt and storage space.
The contracts awarded are as follows:
- Site work, paving and wetlands to A. Liberoni Contracting of Plum for $3.9 million
- General trades to General Industries of Charleroi for $1.7 million
- Plumbing and fire protection to Guy's Mechanical Services of Rochester for $300,200
- Electrical work to Merit Electric Group of Oakmont for $913, 500
- Mechanical systems to R & B Mechanical of Pittsburgh for $214,600
The total amount budgeted for the project—$8.7 million—includes a $700,000 contingency fund in case of an emergency or unexpected costs, and $1 million for fees and services.
Work is expected to begin in June, and the salt storage area is expected to be ready for use in the fall.