A mother and her son have been displaced after their Verona apartment caught fire Tuesday evening.
Verona and Penn Hills No. 224 fire departments responded to a call at the Verona Gardens apartments along West Railroad Avenue at about 8 p.m. Tuesday.
According to Verona Fire Chief Ray Suchevich, a lot of smoke was coming from the building when firefighters arrived on the scene. He said firefighters encountered a kitchen fire in one of the upstairs apartment units—something might have been left on the stove.
Everyone was safely evacuated from the building. However, temporary living arrangements will have to be made for a mother and her son.
"No one was hurt, and that is a good thing," Suchevich said.
Jen Mitcheltree, who was outside with other parents as children played all evening, said she noticed smoke coming from the building. As it got heavier, she said one of the residents called 911.
Firefighters could be seen tossing burnt insulation from the unit's window. A fan was set at the complex's door to air out the smoke, and residents still weren't allowed inside as of about 8:30 p.m.
Verona Police were on scene, and the road was blocked off to traffic.